No one wants to replace a roof. It’s a relatively expensive improvement project, but one that’s important for safety, protection and for your home’s value. Are you debating a roof replacement? Here are five signs to look out for if you think you might need a new roof:
- Sagging: The primary indicator of an aging roof is sagging in the roof deck. Sagging creates valleys that become streams for drainage. This added drainage will only accelerate the aging process and your timeline for a replacement.
- Water Damage: Look carefully for signs of water damage or leaking. Water damage can be both unattractive and damaging to your roof over the long-term, and leaking is a breach of your roof’s protection that requires immediate attention.
- Light: If you’re considering a new roof, it’s important to take a look into your attic as well. If you can see light streaming in through your roof, you’ve discovered a telltale sign that it’s time for a replacement.
- Shingles: Age will show up in your shingles. Examine your roof carefully for shingles that have curled or cracked. A significant loss of shingle granules is another sign, as are shingles that are missing altogether. If you notice this type of damage in just one area, make repairs as needed.
- Time: Keep an eye out for signs your roof is aging, but look at the numbers, too. If your roof is 20 years old, it’s reached the upper limit of its usable life.
HomeStar Remodeling is your roof expert in Delaware, South New Jersey and Pennsylvania. If you’re considering a new roof, we can help you make the best decision for you and your home.